Monday, September 19, 2011

Food

Ok, I need some help.

So, its time to start feeding my child real food.  But, I have to admit I am terrified of my child choking.  I've started giving her some things, but I don't know how big to make the pieces- especially since she is like a little chipmunk and keeps food in her cheeks.

What to do?

I'll take any and all suggestions and advice on what might be good foods to feed her and how big the pieces should be.

2 comments:

married yoshimi said...

I felt the same way! I decided that until she had enough teeth to be able to handle different foods, I started out with easily gummable things... banana, chopped apple/pear cooked in a little water, broccoli, carrots, baked sweet potato fries, toasted cereal, melon, grapes (I cut into 4ths), berries, ripe peaches, etc. I cooked the veggies until they were really soft so she could gum them easily, and cut everything into little bites that she could easily pick up. I'd also make her combos, maybe bake a squash, scoop out the inside, and mix some cooked apple or pear into it (later I added brown rice). Sometimes I'd feed her with the spoon, sometimes I'd let her go to town with her fingers. Messy, but fun for her. I liked this site: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/... all of the info and recipes are free.

let me know how it goes!

BrandyMcD said...

I was lamenting to my parents about how stressed I am about keeping all of the itty bitty toy parts Ellery has away from Carter and my fear of choking. My dad told me the most important thing might be to arm myself with the knowledge of what to do if it happens. So, make sure you have brushed up on your baby first aid/cpr.

I don't really remember a specific rule of thumb I had for how big things were. Just start with tiny pieces and pay attention to how she does with them, and move up from there.