At the pumpkin patch.
My little baby girl actually took her first steps this weekend. She is mainly doing one or two steps before realizing she can get there faster by crawling. I managed to tempt her with a baby mum mum and my iPhone. She'll do just about anything for either one of those.
At swimming lessons.
I am still struggling to find a church. W has been kind enough to find me a few to try. I admit I just can't quite make the jump to visit a church with a choir. Not sure why I feel so strongly about that, but I do. I also feel very strongly about using music at church. I had found a church that I thought would be home, but I can't get over the fact that they only put the words up for the songs and they have a praise team that they mike which makes it impossible to hear yourself sing.
This past weekend I visited a church I had been to when I first moved here. They at least do use music, but it didn't have that something special. I guess that might come over time, but after finding that in Houston I have come to expect it. When I first walked in to Southwest Central, I knew I had found a church home. I have not found that here and I am running out of churches to visit.
One of my main problems I think is that I just want to be back home at 'my' church. I'm having trouble opening up to new experiences. Also, it isn't so easy to find a church where women are valued the way they are at Southwest Central. That's another thing that has been hard for me to get over. When the only way the women are involved is in the children's worship, it is disappointing.
And why do churches of Christ insist on being ugly (for the most part)? I get wanting to be simple and not extravagant, but white walls with red carpet and no windows? Ugh. We can make our buildings beautiful without being wasteful.


2 comments:
Sending you long distance hugs T! We were starting to give up on what we were looking for when we stumbled on SWC, so maybe there is still that special place lurking out there for you.
Sorry you're missing us as much as we're missing you. And I know what you mean about CofC being so often ugly. I was once out exploring rural Texas with a friend and came upon a very old church building with a historical marker, beautiful architecture and exquiste stained glass. We made a u-turn for a better look and I joked that the one thing we knew for sure "it's not church of Christ." But it was... they had bought a Methodist building.
There is a place for you somewhere.
Post a Comment