So, if you've been reading my latest blogs, it is not so surprising to find out I lean towards the right. Actually, I lean towards having the government remove itself from most aspects of my life. I think it should provide its citizens protection from harm (like war and crime) and should keep the infrastructure up and running.
I don't think it has done a great job running Medicare or the Social Security system. I'm not sure it is actually capable of successfully running itself.
I do think quite a few of my friends think differently. I often find this frustrating. How can they not see what I see? Why do they think the government can 'fix' anything? And of course I am sure they are thinking the same thing about me.
People come from such different places. I come from a poor background. My mother often talks about how she probably should have taken food stamps when my brother and I were young, but was so busy trying to put food on the table that she never did. Perhaps this is where the beginning of my belief in self reliance began. And I am a BIG believer in self reliance.
Sure, most people need help at some point in their life (I know I have), but what bugs me most is someone who won't even try to do it themselves. Entitlement is such a prevalent enemy in our society. It doesn't do anyone any favors.
I believe that when people stop expecting the government to take care of things two things will happen:
1. People will step up and help those in need.
2. Those in need will learn how to help themselves and stop the cycle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
To address the first part of your post: you are right, people come from such different places. Being at our church has convinced me more than ever that I can respect and love people who have different viewpoints from me (like you!). It's important to remember that we generally have the same ultimate goals in mind, but just different ideas of how to get there.
On the second part of your post: I think the health care issues are more than a "cycle." If it were a cycle you would see the same community of people going through the problem over and over. Instead, we are seeing more and more people sucked into it. Honestly, if our health care premiums continue to increase like they have then I would imagine in ten years, or even less, Caleb and I will no longer be able to afford insurance. Surely you don't think we are lazy people who refuse to help ourselves.
And being a teacher I guess I DO just trust the government more than you do. It's not perfect, but I think that it does things reasonably well considering the amount of responsibility heaped on it. I've watched my parents deal with both of my grandmother's health -- one with Medicare and one with private insurance. By far, the grandmother with Medicare has been much easier to handle, even though she has had extended hospital stays.
And ultimately, I trust the government more than corporations. In fact, after watching the financial situation for the last couple of years I trust just about any entity more than I do a private, for profit corporation.
I was writing out a comment about how I struggle with this stuff, too... desiring overall less governmental involvement in my life (which has prompted M and I to attempt to fund our future by choices made in the last couple of years), greater efficiency and limits on spending, my interest in a fair tax to help fund public heath options, the ethical dilemma I see in people taking help from the gov through Medicare/Medicaid and yet feeling justified in sheltering and hiding money to keep from paying for it, how Medicare has allowed many people to have children without being weighted down with debt, how I essentially think it mostly boils down to people's (my) mistrust of our government, that we'll take tax credits and benefits when we can get them but still want autonomy...etc. etc.
but then a friend's blog directed me to http://www.jennysimmons.com/ for today's post, which led me to http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/. and now I'm just left questioning.
I don't know how much of what I believe is because I live here and have certain expectations.
I don't know how much my politics, as it morphs and changes, has affected my Christianity.
I'm afraid that, in talking about my political leanings, I've come across as un-Christian. and it may actually, unintentionally be true.
I know the arguments about government vs. private organizations helping people... dang, I wish it were CHURCHES filling that gap. I'm just finding myself at a loss today. I'm exposed to more 'diversity' than many people I know... and yet it's still a bubble barely scratched, and I really can only guess at how to address the real needs of this country.
sorry, MediCAID has helped people have babies. my bad.
Everyone has an opinion about this subject (and so many others). Sometimes they become heated, but they need not be so. I definitely see the humanitarian aspect of the health care reform...and I do fear for my family's future in this dwindling economy. For me though, when I look at programs that seem to be pushing our country towards socialism, I have reason to pause as a student of history. Think about the countries that have tried this experiment. Think about the people who embraced it: Stalin, Lenin, Marx...If socialism worked it would rock...I just don't know of any time when it has.
I wasn't really referring to healthcare with the last point. I guess I meant more the cycle of people who don't have jobs, whose families haven't had a job in generations. And not because there aren't any, but because that is their mentality- the government will take care of them, feed them, give them money, etc...
And I don't think people are entitled to healthcare at all. It is a service. Just like lawyers. But that will get me in lots of trouble with my friends :)
B- I definitely don't think you and C are lazy. Health care premiums are going up for a number of different reasons. The main one being that the government programs do not cover the cost that the doctors/hopsitals incure and so we as regular pepople with private insurance are forced to make up the difference. Chris has some interesting ideas for getting health costs lower- such as allowing people to purchase healthcare outside of the state they live in.
Did you know each state has so many regulations and requirements that it puts on insurance companies - which in turn causes our prices to rise. We are having to pay for things we as healthy 30 somethings may not need because a lobbyist convinced some congressman it was necessary.
Anyway, enough of that.
I am biting my tongue so hard it hurts! http://www.volunteerhouston.org/
Post a Comment