Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pledging Allegiance

Found this tonight. Very very very scary. I am speechless. Its not so crazy until you get to the end.

Facism anyone?

6 comments:

married yoshimi said...

hmmm... I guess I took it differently. if you look past the bad production choice of the unison speech in the end that made them sound like drones, it all sounds like stuff I honestly wish more people were 'pledging', not to the president but just because most of what was said is good common sense, love thy neighbor, be a good steward-type stuff that is preached to us in church. that dude that 'pledged to Obama' is the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, just being 'that guy'. plus, people 'pledged to Bush' in much the same way... that sort of followship makes me eyeroll a little no matter who's leading.

the scariest thing about it for me was to sit through four minutes of multiple celebrity stumping... (I don't generally appreciate it... the thoughts and politics of wealthy people who live a lifestyle most can't fathom, while their free to express and live out their opinions, don't influence my own).

blueskies said...

I guess the ending with everyone in unison pledging themselves to anyone is just so creepy to me. It wouldn't matter if it was Bush or my mother. And Amen to your second paragraph. Here they are talking about not using plastic bags at the grocery store, but what else are they doing that is 100 times worse for the environment.

It was just weird.

Whitney said...

I really liked the message it promoted--that there's more involved in changing our world for the better than voting. That in order to improve the living conditions of our neighbors we must take personal responsibility and do something, that we can't leave the solutions up to one person to carry out. The pledging to be a servant of Obama was kind of a weird way to phrase it, but overall I liked the point. The style and most of the people involved are a spin-off of a campaign video that the guy from the Black Eye Peas made for Obama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z2fPi2VtQI

Also, I know that people rag on celebrities for speaking up, but I would rather have them do something and use their recognition for something positive than sit back and take no responsibility. Also, that one guy did pledge to sell his "obnoxious car and buy a hybrid." :)

Whitney said...

Haha, I think would consider myself more of a socialist than a fascist if you want to go there!

married yoshimi said...

That's a good point, Whitney, about the celebs doing something positive. It's true. I guess I have a knee-jerk reaction to highly paid celebrities being used like that so publicly - totally subjective, it's just not my flavor. I'd prefer them to use their power and influence as most of the rest of us do, in private. but since I can't tell the whole world what to do and everyone's got this 'freedom' thing, I'll just shut up now. :)

Whitney said...

Yeah, plus they could be doing things in private that we're not aware of. I know when I was volunteering with Amnesty International, we sought out celebrities who would help us for free with campaigns. Whether it's appealing to everyone or not, it is nice to use people with name recognition to get the word out. You reach a much larger audience having Yoko Ono as a speaker than you would having Jan Egland.