Today I am straddling the fence. It is not a fence I ever expected to wonder on which side I wanted to be on. The Dilemma:
To sing or not to sing with a certain choir
The Argument:
I have enjoyed my time with the choir, but am starting to feel unfulfilled and even rebellious. We are asked to sing straight tone the entire time and while that was fun for awhile, I am ready to sing other styles. My voice wants to be free. That probably sounds crazy, but while singing this weekend I felt so trapped. I just wanted to have vibrato. Not crazy vibrato, but free, simple vibrato.
I also don't like another aspect that has been introduced this year regarding the technicality of cut-offs. I won't bore you with the details, but I find the new method tedious and maybe even pretentious. Not to mention frustrating since there are people in the choir who actively refuse to participate in the new cut-offs. (There is nothing worse than a choir that doesn't cut-off together. OK, maybe a choir that is completely out of tune would be worse.)
I am finding myself not looking forward to rehearsals and wanting to leave.
The Worry:
If I do leave the choir, where else would I sing (besides the shower). I want to be singing either with a choir or maybe a jazz ensemble that is *good* and not just a pick up choir of people who like to sing. I wouldn't mind doing solo work. But how? And where?
Ah. The memories of my time at Westminster Choir College. Beautiful music. And everyone just took it for granted.
In my heart of hearts, I think it is time to move on. I am saddened and (this is a strong word, but I can't think of another one) worried.


2 comments:
ooohhh, growing out of a group of peers - or just intuiting the need to move on - is such an awkward place to be. I have no words of wisdom, just empathy. I hope the way becomes very clear and you feel free to go or stay.
Listen carefully to your heart, be gentle with yourself, wait, breath deeply, ask for patience...be still...we are promised we will know. Bobbie
Post a Comment