Thursday, October 9, 2008

Growing Up

Chris and I are in the process of growing up. We are meeting with a marriage counselor once a week and can I say what a blessing it is? It really has been wonderful. If anyone is having any trouble or if they know someone who is getting married, I have a great recommendation.

Growing up isn't always easy to do. It means listening to things you don't want to hear. It means asking for more when you are used to giving. It means learning to give when you are used to taking. It means being uncomfortable and stretching past your 'safe' boundaries. It means letting it all out and being incredibly vulnerable.

I don't think Chris and I have ever been closer. Having the permission to say things we were both afraid to talk about has been liberating. Maybe not to the other party in that moment, but there has to be a lot of trust to talk about real, hard issues. Figuring out the other's needs before we tie the knot has been so helpful. I wish we would have gone to see C a long time ago.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you in mine.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so happy for you, Tricia! It sounds like you and Chris are headed in a really good direction, and I will keep you in my prayers. I would be really grateful for yours, too, right now. I spent last weekend with my brother Tyler, and found out he's been lying about not smoking pot (and maybe more), so it's been a disappointing and rough week. And, I found out I didn't get the job I wanted. And, I'm going to be out of town the next two weekends (again!).

married yoshimi said...

T, I'm so glad for you guys! C is wonderful, and is such a fantastic help.

W, oh girl, I'm sorry this is has been such a rough week for you. :( if you're in town next weekend, 242 is at our house and we'd love to see your face.