Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He Gets Me

So last night the Bach Choir had a recording session. Each instrument section had to do a mike test. When it was the tympanist's turn, a fabulous idea popped into my head. Yes, it was wedding related, but I thought it was so great it didn't matter if I wasn't supposed to be thinking about wedding things. I couldn't help it. It was great.

I lean over to my neighboor on my right Kathy who is the wife of the pastor at Christ the King Lutheran Churh and ask her what she thinks. She kind of smiles, but doesn't think it is such a great idea. Later on that night after a few rearrangments, I lean over to my right again and ask David what he thinks. He actually says it is a terrible idea and that it will doom the marriage. And he meant it. He wasn't just kidding.

Now here I am cracking myself up the whole session because of my idea and no one, and I mean no one, around me thinks it is funny. I guess they just don't get me. That might explain why I don't have any really close friends in the Bach Choir. They are all nice and we have a good time together, but last night's reaction to my great idea proves they just don't get me.

So, after the recording session is over I call up my fiance. Yes, fiance. I say, "Chris, don't be mad, but when I heard the tympanist play tonight I had a great idea for the wedding." I can hear him breathe in a little and he says, "Ok." "What do you think about me walking down the aisle to the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars?"

And he cracks up. Just like I did. He thinks it is hilarious. And then suggests that maybe that might be more appropriate for the rehearsal. Maybe he is right. But he laughed. And not just a polite laugh. He really thought it was funny.


And that is why I am marrying him. He gets me.

No comments: