I've always said I would never get an epidural. Not because I think it is a cop out or because I think 'natural' childbirth is the only way to go. (And by the way, isn't all childbirth natural?) No, I am just afraid of that needle - not all needles, just big ones going into my spine. Now I know, people have said once I am in labor I won't be scared of that needle and that is probably true. But, I want to have as many options open when it comes to laboring as I can.
And that's where Hypnobabies comes in. When I first read about it I was totally sceptical. "Hypnosis? Really? Oh come on." That's what I thought. But the more I read, the more interesting it seemed. (Sceptical yourself? Go here for more on hypnosis in childbirth.) The more I read, the more I realized I had been reading a lot of negative things about pregnancy and childbirth. You hear all of these crazy, horrible stories about labor --And I want to apologize right now to all of the pregnant ladies out there I may have shared a scary labor story with. I now realize that is exactly what you don't want to hear while you are gestating-- and so you start to kind of expect the same for your labor.
I've decided I want my pregnancy to be more on the positive side and am going to search out positive experiences and information. That doesn't mean I won't be an informed mother-to-be. It just means I'd rather dwell on the positive.
So, I spoke to Leslie my doula about Hypnobabies and she was kind enough to let me borrow some of the CDs that go with the program to see if I liked it before I invested.
The first CD included the introduction on Hypnobabies which I found very convincing. I also listened to the pregnancy affirmations which I first thought of as cheesy, but I can see how they can be helpful.
Anyway, all of that to say I think I'll order the program and then give a more thorough review.
Do I think it will make my labor pain-free? Honestly, no. But I do think it can help me relax and allow my body to do what it knows how to do. And I do think it will help me prepare in a positive way for childbirth.
Yes, I am hoping to get through labor without pain meds, but I'm not stupid. I realize I've never been through this before so I'm going to keep all of my options open. One thing is for sure though- I am going to be as prepared as I can be.
Have any of you tried different ways of getting through labor?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I watched a show on tv about hypnobirthing with great interest... I think there are any number of ways to approach labor, and pretty much all have something positive about them. It's good to be as informed as possible and I think it's normal to have a preference of how you'd like things to go. I'd caution against any hard and fast rules for yourself - it seems too easy for women to build expectations and be disappointed, or compare themselves to the experience they wish they had and feel guilt or judgement. In my mind, I was healthy and in good shape and really wanted to have a good, natural delivery... and then we had amniotic fluid issues and, even though I was naturally contracting, they induced for Maggie's safety and the introduction of pitocin into my body changed everything. I'd told M early on that the epidural totally freaked me out - the needle in the back thing got me, too - but in the end it turned out to be a life raft of sorts, if an imperfect one. Whatever happens, I'm convinced of a couple of things: that our birth experience, whatever it is, doesn't define us and, though the mom's experience is certainly important and valid, the objective is to safely get a baby into the world. however that happens with your baby and your body is the right way for you.
I definitely think not having a set plan is the way to go. Like you said- I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.
I would like to think Hypnobabies will help me get through any situation- whether that be labor or getting an epidural :)
Never been there and done that but... I sat with a friend who was a life-long practitioner of meditation (of the Zen variety) who could lower her blood pressure and her labor certainly seemed easier than others I'd seen. When I was a medical librarian, I did a bibliography on hypnosis and Eastern meditation in surgery, which seemed to have benefits.
It seems to me that anything that gives us better control of our bodies, our breath, our minds is a good thing. All the time, not just when one is in labor.
I believe it is important to be flexible. I agree with Luci-the birthing experience doesn't define you/us. I wasn't planning on a section, and labored for about 4 hours before that decision was made (Eleanor's heart rate kept dropping during contractions). But I did have an epidural while we were still going for vaginal delivery, and I have to say it wasn't bad.
Wow, its good to know someone out there has the same feeling about an epidural! I am the exact same way... I just can't imagine a huge needle going into my spine and holding still long enough for them to do all that properly. Interesting ideas on child labor... sure will be following your story to find out more!
Post a Comment