Thursday, February 5, 2009

Where's Mine?

So I figure if all of these companies are getting bailouts, where is my bailout??? If I start a company, and claim I need a bailout, I promise I won't take more than $500,000 salary a year. I listen to the radio and watch the news and I wonder what in the world is happening to this country? Hello, Socialism anyone?

Yikes. It is so scary. Yes, it would be nice if no one had to worry about their job. If no one had to worry about putting food on the table. If everything was just taken care of.

Um. I think they tried that. It was once the USSR and we all know what happened to that.

I don't think it says anywhere in the Constitution that the people of this nation have a right to a stress free existence. This country is based on Capitalism and Freedom and now we have a government handing out money to just about anyone and of course there are strings attached. No one thinks about those strings though. They just accept their money and think how lucky they are.

People think it would be great for the government to take care of us completely. What about those countries that pay for the health care of those citizens and then do not give them the health care they need because of how much they weigh or because of the fact that they smoke.

I don't know about you, but I like being in control of my life. I don't want a government telling me what I can and cannot do with my money, with my body.

Bailouts are not free. There are consequences. It might suck for a while, but I think we need to let this market work itself out.

5 comments:

married yoshimi said...

girl... I share a lot of these sentiments. the way the gov is trying to 'fix' things by interceding and handing out scads of money without demanding businesses actually run themselves better makes me shudder. I doubt much has been altered by the 'bailout' so far, except that more people will believe that, aside from a few PR issues, there are no real repercussions to taking on too much risk.

failing isn't the end of the world... especially, if you come back even stronger, better, smarter, wiser. in that sense, failing could be the best thing that could happen, IMO.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading through the blog and thought "Wow, it is the 1980s again with Reagan's 'it's morning in America' theme." Or wait, did I hear similar comments on Fox News last night?

I find the polar opposites of the US and USSR interesting, as it doesn't consider the middle range of the UK, Sweden, and France, to name a few (though these might be the unnamed countries that cut off your healthcare if you are too fat-- who knows). I may not want to attend May Day parades in Moscow, but I would be perfectly happy driving a Volvo.

The most troubling aspect for me is the view of it's okay for the economy to hurt for awhile, it will self correct (or the even more optimistic view in the previous comment of coming back "even stronger, better, smarter"). When the market sheds over 100,00 jobs in a week, as it did last week, do you think those people are happy to see the market correct itself? Is the Caterpillar factory worker in Peoria going to say "well, it sucks for now, but I'll be okay"?

I do, however, applaud the comment about getting government out of our lives, especially our bodies. Such a pro-choice view is rare in conservative commentary-- bravo!

This all has such a tinge of the French Revolution about it. All that was missing was "let them eat cake...".

BurningJohn said...

I love the irony of comments like "things sucking for awhile" (ie, the market will work itself out) and celebrating buying a new Burberry bag in your prior post.

married yoshimi said...

hey, there. to anonymous,

I wouldn't compare the US to the USSR. the sentiments I share have to do with how much and in what manner the gov intervenes, how effective the intervention, at what cost, and to whom.

I'm guessing no rational person would think that 'When the market sheds over 100,00 jobs in a week, as it did last week, do you think those people are happy to see the market correct itself?' Certainly not, and one would 'wish' for such a thing. This is a horrible time. I was addressing my belief that when poor business policies, predatory practices, and poor personal choices are at the root of a lot of the bigger picture, to allow some consequences in the hope of actually saving business/jobs long term is a valid way to look at addressing the problem. I'm simply against the government throwing money at key players, which it very much seems as though they've been doing, imagining that money in the hands of the same people and business structures who helped blow everything will or can change behavior. IMO, the gov acts irresponsibly and not in the best interest of the country in their unorganized, fear-based fervor to DO something that involves them stepping into unprecedented shoes. And blaming the scared American citizen for not spending enough to keep the economy going while pledging billions of taxpayer dollars in nebulous 'help' that doesn't seem to be actually helping doesn't help me trust them more. I'm actually rooting for Obama. But I lost faith in the government's ability to effectively help the public a long time ago, for better or worse. that's why I 'threw my vote away' and voted libertarian.

blueskies said...

Married Yoshimi you are right. I would love it if everything was rainbows and unicorns, but unfortunately that isn't reality. I just want the government to stop spending the money I work hard for on things I highly doubt will help people get jobs. For instance- How many millions are they spending on Honeybee insurance? How many millions on STD education? These things should be in a spending appropriations bill- not something called a Stimulus.

And I love my Burberry purse thank you very much. I worked hard for it.