Last week's Let's Talk Tuesday went so well. Thanks to all for the thought provoking replies.
This week, let's talk about DEATH- not the dying part, but the part after that. Do we go straight to heaven/hell? Do we wait in a holding tank type of place for judgement day? Are we reincarnated into another body to live life all over again?
I distinctly remember a sermon from my childhood that described the different states of hell. Pretty much anywhere not in the presence of God was hell. One of the 'hells' was where you went after you died and waited for the day of judgement. I don't think I believe in that. I have decided that once we die we are magically (?) transported to judgement day. In other words, time is not constant.
In typing that, I think about my grandmother and how I often feel she is with me and that she is with God. So there goes the whole magical time warp idea. Hm. And I thought I had this all figured out.
Humanity on the whole is frightened of death and I think mainly because we don't know what happens next. Are you afraid of dying? I am not. Although, I am terrified of being struck by lightening. Go figure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I think about this often, for varying reasons, but my thoughts are this: perhaps those who are "dead," that is, humanly dead, dead bodies, are in the presence of God (scripture sometimes says "asleep" or refers to the person as being asleep)--yet they are not in what we define as heaven or "the new Jerusalem." Perhaps while waiting for Christ to redeem the dead (2nd return whatever that means) they are in his presence yet waiting to be in heaven, just like us. I don't know if I buy that, but I like the idea of it. Then you get into a whole mess about apocalyptic things and Christ's "return" (as if God even experiences linear time?). I don't know a lot about this and have similar questions. Will I know my parents in heaven? Will they know me? What do we do with "new bodies?" Will Jesus come for us or will he reign here?
Makes me wish I knew a little more doctrine...mmmm...this would make a good study!
Post a Comment