To kick off my Freaky Friday series…The Strain.I read this book in about a week. Talk about a page turner!
Summary: (Don’t worry- I won’t give anything away that you couldn't find on the book cover) Vampires are taking over Manhattan. Scratch that. They are taking over the world.
It all starts with a plane ride and surprise, surprise doesn’t end with this book. I must have been the last person to know that this was the first in a trilogy. I kept wondering as I was getting closer and closer to the end how it was going to wrap up. Yeah. It didn’t. (The ending of this book was actually quite abrupt and didn’t fit in with the rest of the book. That was slightly disappointing, but won’t keep me from reading the upcoming books.)
Del Toro is a masterful story teller. He has directed films like Hell Boy and Pan’s Labyrinth (which is one of the most fantastic, artistic movies I have ever seen. Check is out here.) You can tell he is a visual person as he makes the story come to life right inside your head. No extraneous details. Just the stuff that makes it vivid. So vivid in fact, that it actually gave me nightmares. (And that's saying a lot)
Some of you may be thinking you aren’t in to nightmares, and well, then you probably wouldn’t be in to this book either. It is gruesome. It is graphic. And it is freaky. A perfect way to start off this series.
Oh- I thought this book was pretty freaky, until I went to The Strain’s website and saw there was even more. Del Toro has created a whole world including a blog by one of the characters and gruesome photos of the vampires. It is all very well thought out. How fun.
Oh- I thought this book was pretty freaky, until I went to The Strain’s website and saw there was even more. Del Toro has created a whole world including a blog by one of the characters and gruesome photos of the vampires. It is all very well thought out. How fun.


1 comment:
Pan's Labyrinth was the first movie Michael and I saw together, and where we first, like, held hands.
I thought it was so cool-looking, two thumbs up!
Post a Comment