Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Love It ~ Hate It

Today's Love It ~ Hate It is all about prayer. And to shake things up a bit, I am going to start with Hate it.
Hate It
I hate the fact that my prayer life has diminished to almost nothing. I used to be quite diligent with prayer. Whenever I found a free moment I would pray. Nothing huge or special, but I connected with God. Lately though...I am embarrassed. Almost to the point of being to embarrassed to start praying again.
Like God will say, "Who's this girl? What does she want? What, Does she think she can just come tromping back in here after all this time?"

So I have been struggling...And struggling - with my good intentions following right behind me as I fail and fail.
Love It
Check out what I hope will be my solution to this problem... A prayer journal. Perhaps if I write down my prayers it will 1) keep me from falling asleep while praying and 2) allow me to be more
creative in my prayers.

Who needs creative prayers you say? Well, I find that even when I do pray, they always seem to be the same thing over and over. While ritual is good, I don't like how it feels rehearsed.

So off I went to B&N and found this cute thang. See in the inside pages? There are 4-5 different designs that rotate throughout the journal. How could I say no to such cuteness?

I might end up drawing more than I write, but maybe those can be prayers too.




5 comments:

Whitney said...

When I went to the Cenacle (the retreat center where Bobbie H is a spiritual director), they had a little art table set up for prayer/art. I really enjoyed it--helped me use a different part of my brain and heart when praying. Prayer is something I have to make an effort to do, also, and have big ups and downs. Thank you for sharing!

The Art of Being Babs said...

Object prayer is good. Try looking at candles burning, or feathers, or stones. I have a prayer journal as well. Its hard for me to pray to myself without writing it down.

Anonymous said...

God will smile when you start talking to Him again and say "I love this girl, so good to catch up with her again". He is endlessly patient with us (talking to myself here as well as you). Don't talk yourself into being afraid to talk to Him.

Leanne
http://ourlifeandotherstuff.blogspot.com/

Tiffany said...

I think that writing is a great way to pray. And it's so much fun to look back a few months later and see how so many prayers were answered, and some even with out us realizing at the time.

Great post.

Sid Silhouette Photography said...

Your article is real. I don't pray as often as needed. Don't really know why. When trouble arise, I don't have a problem praying. Having felt your insight, I'm made to pause and examine my current situation. Things are going pretty well. So, out of respect for The Lord. At least communication shall be opened, if only to Thank Him. Thank you Mrs. Lady!