Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Belize - Odds & Ends

On the other two days we were in Belize, we visted caves. The Barton Creek cave was used by the Mayas to make sacrifices. They belived the caves were the way to the underworld and so the caves were very sacred to them.

Chris and I went by canoe with our guide. The only thing illuminating our way- the lights we brought with us! At one point Geronimo turned the lights out. What an experience. I have never been anywhere that was so dark. It really didn't matter if you had your eyes open or closed. You couldn't see a thing! When this cave was first discovered, sacraficial remains were found. You can still see the skull of a child.

This picture is of the field right next to Barton Creek. This area was so beautiful Chris and I actually thought of buying land in this area. Funnily enough, Belize has large Mennonite and Amish communities. Who knew? The Mennonites are apparently the group that does most of the commercial farming. Barton Creek is right in the middle of one of the Mennonite communities.This is a picture of the Rio On cave. We visited this on the way to Caracol. This particular cave was not used for anything creepy and has huge openings on both ends so you could see the whole thing without any extra lighting. Sunday, Chris and I took a horseback ride to Big Rock Falls. I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but Chris' horse was very tall. And here is Big Rock Falls. It was a very peaceful place and even though Chris and I didn't get in the water, we did enjoy sitting in the shade watching other people.

Our guide that day jumping into a deep spot of the river. I am glad he brought his swim trunks with him as it was pretty hot. For some reason the water was kind of dirty. Since there hadn't been any rain, he didn't know why so much sediment had been stirred up. Oh well. He had fun anyway. Overall, Chris and I had a great time. Our favorite days were spent touring the ruins at Tikal and Caracol. It was so hot and I was tired of eating outside with the bugs that I was ready to come home. I would definitely recommend it to others who are thinking of going to Belize. Next time we go (and I am sure we will go back to Belize), I want to stay at the beach since apparently it looks like this:

1 comment:

married yoshimi said...

I've so enjoyed reading about your trip and learning about Belize!! what a fun, interesting adventure!