Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Smells Like Christmas

It took me a few moments to realize that is what I was smelling in Hermann Park. Christmas. There are so many pine trees down in Hermann Park that it smells like Christmas. Which is slightly odd since Hermann Park is anything but comforting. The dog and I have navigated our way through it a few times over the last few days and each time it is a sight to see. I can't imagine how long it will take to clean up all of that mess- not to mention the rest of the city. Huge trees have been blown over. Branches hang perilously from trees that are still standing. Birds and squirrels are kind of wondering around trying to figure out where their homes went. I should have brought my camera and taken a picture, but I am sure most of you are either living this or have seen the devastation on the TV. And really who wants to see more depressing pictures?

There are long lines for food and even longer lines for gas. I often think I need to go and help my mother with her yard and the trees down there, but then I am reminded that gas is extremely hard to come by and she tells me she is fine. Her phone finally works which is good. My power is on so I am surely blessed. My brother and his fiance are here since he is supposed to back at U of H today.

I am back at work today and am finding it hard to concentrate. I am thinking about my mother. I am thinking about my grandfather. I am thinking about how this city will rebuild and how much work there is to do.

And I wish doggy daycare was open.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Beth and I were cleaning out some old boxes tonight and I have something that you will find most interesting. I did. I'll bring it Sunday.

married yoshimi said...

we miss you, chick-a-dee!