I have a little bit of baggage that I am carrying around. (Don't I wish it was the bag on the left!) Here is a little story about my beautiful, expensive baggage. If only I could animate what I am seeing in my head when I tell this story. But I can't so you'll have to use your imagination.I am sitting on a bench next to my baggage. I like my baggage. It isn't all that heavy. But it isn't exactly getting me anywhere. I can see outside the little box that my bench is sitting in and I see wonderful things. People happy, laughing, sharing their lives with other people.
Sometimes I think about leaving my baggage to check out the world outside of my box. I get up from my bench and stand on the threshold. Then I think, "Getting to know new people. Ugh." And I go back and sit next to my baggage- the baggage that I already know.
After a while, my baggage kind of starts to smell so I get up and stand on the threshold, maybe even stick my toe out to test the 'waters'. Then I think, "It's dangerous out there. You could really get hurt." And I go back and sit next to my baggage- the baggage that already hurt me and so it can't hurt me again.
After a while I get kind of bored. My baggage it like TV Land. It only plays reruns. So I get up and walk over to the threshold, maybe even cross over. Go on a couple dates, start meeting new guys...but for some reason I don't really want to get that far from my baggage. I know my baggage. I like to know things. I mean the unknown is so scary, right?
So the trick is to take it one day at a time, get one step further from my baggage, take more risks. Then one day my baggage will just be a distant memory.
But if you'd like to get me the bag from the picture above, I'd gladly accept it.


4 comments:
It's okay to leave it behind (says the pot to the kettle...)--you know, just in case you needed someone to say it. Have a good week. :)
You are a great writer, Tricia. I pray that you can leave your baggage. It's much easier said than done, though. Wish I could buy you that beautiful, big bag!
I like you.
in the fairy world where I get to eat cake every day and unicorns are real, I would turn your heavy baggage into a chic little clutch that chirped encouragement in your ear. in a non-annoying way, because it is fairy world.
I think baggage is OK to hold onto as long as it only reminds us of the journeys we've taken to get where we are now. If we're not using it to continue to "travel" then it's not serving it's purpose and definitely needs to be traded for the new "it" bag of the moment. The one in the picture should do quite nicely......
love you,
Heather
Post a Comment