Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Star Spangled

When was the last time you actually thought about the words to the Star Spangled Banner? I admit I don't know if I have ever really thought about them. I've sung them a gazillion times and have heard the anthem a gazillion more. There are actually 3 more original verses plus an additional verse added by Oliver Wendell Holmes. Who knew? Below I have included the one we all know from our anthem singing. It really is quite moving when you sit and think about it.

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming.
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?


On another starry note - I've decided I need to date and maybe marry an ASTRONAUT. What do you think? I figured that he would have a lot of qualities I am looking for, such as:

1. He would be very smart
2. And probably ambitious
3. He would have to have a great imagination
4. And be able to take risks
5. There is also a high probablitity that he will be kind of nerdy

Sounds good to me. Next question- Does anyone know an astronaut? If so, feel free to give him my number.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Okay, you are living in the perfect city to find an Astronaut... just make sure it's not a crazy one like that woman who drove to Florida wearing an adult diaper in order to beat up her boyfriend's lover! I think you should start hanging out at NASA... PS Natalie at church's boyfriend worked there, so she might know some.